Force Realist Academy
You must be at least 19 years of age to join Force Realist Academy.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Force Realist Academy
You must be at least 19 years of age to join Force Realist Academy.
Force Realist Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts and Prayers

+2
Grey
DamascusAquarius1972
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thoughts and Prayers Empty Thoughts and Prayers

Post by Grey Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:26 am

Thoughts and Prayers 2017-018

Many are making themselves feel good by doing nothing, yet convincing themselves they actually did something.

The above image illustrates my point perfectly.
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Thoughts and Prayers Empty Re: Thoughts and Prayers

Post by Micheal Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:42 am

People need to feel that they make a difference in the world.  That their life has meaning.  Sadly, hard work and self reliance are no longer this.
Micheal
Micheal
Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am

Micheal wrote:People need to feel that they make a difference in the world.  That their life has meaning.  Sadly, hard work and self reliance are no longer this.

I am doing nothing to aid those who lost their loved ones, possessions and homes during Hurricane Harvey. 

I stated this on my Facebook wall and it resulted in people condemning me as selfish and "heartless". However, had I posted something about sending my "thoughts and prayers", I would have been seen as a kind person and commended for my "thoughtful" post, even though I did nothing.
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 am

LOL, not everyone is ready for such a level of honesty.
I would say that you were called heartless because you did do something.  You posted you would not do something.
That act, while innocuous due to whatever reasoning you have(Mine is I am not in an area to help), leaves little for others to judge.  So they go to the easiest judgement.
Micheal
Micheal
Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 pm

The undercurrent of the exercise of listing 10 admirable traits about a random person in your life generates an overall sense of gratitude.

Fussing to a production line about their scrap will increase quality as: 1) each member tries to be more careful 2) extra effort is placed on correcting defects instead of rejecting them.

Objects in the mirror are not always as they appear, and that prayer you make for another might be pleasantly affecting yourself.

Go hug your mother. Laughing
David
David
Dark Head of Aspect
Dark Head of Aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by DamascusAquarius1972 Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Oh Mortox!  Making statements like that on Facebook WILL get you reactions as such.  Remember the law of physics.  Plus people read their own projection of TONE and EMOTION into text and social media THUS creating their own picture of said speaker's mannerisms even though it may be 100% false.
DamascusAquarius1972
DamascusAquarius1972

Back to top Go down

Post by VixensVengeance Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Mortox wrote:Thoughts and Prayers 2017-018

Many are making themselves feel good by doing nothing, yet convincing themselves they actually did something.

Im curious how you justify this statement? You readily admit to your belief in the existence of a supreme deity that has written a divine moral law (albeit one you choose to disobey) and yet you judge others who pray to that deity for divine favor for others as doing nothing?
VixensVengeance
VixensVengeance
Dark Initiate
Dark Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 pm

VixensVengeance wrote:
Mortox wrote:Thoughts and Prayers 2017-018

Im curious how you justify this statement? You readily admit to your belief in the existence of a supreme deity that has written a divine moral law (albeit one you choose to disobey) and yet you judge others who pray to that deity for divine favor for others as doing nothing?

First, I do not believe the law maker is supreme. Second, did you miss the part about me not being Christian? Why would I agree with something many Christians take part in? What even makes you think I believe the entity the Christians pray to answers their prayers to begin with? Maybe instead of constantly assuming, you could take some time aside and actually learn about what I believe as well as what I do not? Then again, it seems you are just here to push a debate with me, even when I have made it rather clear I am not interested in your style of debate.

Furthermore, if you wish to engage me in polite discussion or a line of civil questions, you may do so. However, I will engage you no further in your obsessive need to be confrontational with me. 

Have a nice day.
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Post by VixensVengeance Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 pm

I was not debating you or being confrontational. In fact all I did was ask a question. Sorry for making assumptions, but it seemed logical to me that if you follow satan that you must also acknowledge the other half of that mythology in the Christian God. I didn' say you were a Christian either and I only mean supreme in the sense that these beings are superior to mortal humans. I was just curious about why you thought prayers from those that pray were not answered by their deity?
VixensVengeance
VixensVengeance
Dark Initiate
Dark Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:35 pm

VixensVengeance wrote:I was not debating you or being confrontational. In fact all I did was ask a question. Sorry for making assumptions, but it seemed logical to me that if you follow satan that you must also acknowledge the other half of that mythology in the Christian God. I didn' say you were a Christian either and I only mean supreme in the sense that these beings are superior to mortal humans. I was just curious about why you thought prayers from those that pray were not answered by their deity?

If I followed Satan, I would be a Satanist and not a Luciferian, right? Furthermore, I do not believe everything I have read in the Bible, especially when it comes to the one I use the TITLE Lucifer regarding.

As for prayers being answered, I do not believe every deity answers prayers and if they do, I believe it is specific to the person praying and their relationship with that deity.
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Post by VixensVengeance Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Sorry, my mistake. I thought Satan and lucifer were the same. But the question still remains. Maybe not every deity does answer prayers but some surely must. So those people that pray to deities that do answer prayers are actually doing something effective dont you think?
VixensVengeance
VixensVengeance
Dark Initiate
Dark Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 pm

VixensVengeance wrote:Sorry, my mistake. I thought Satan and lucifer were the same. But the question still remains. Maybe not every deity does answer prayers but some surely must. So those people that pray to deities that do answer prayers are actually doing something effective dont you think?

If people desire to be of help after a mass shooting, for example, they surely can do better than offer "thoughts and prayers"; that is the point I am making. While such prayers might be answered, what effort did the person expend? Far better to donate money, non perishables, and so on (or what is appropriate), no?
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Post by VixensVengeance Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Yes i agree absolutely. But sometimes people dont have extra money or things to give. In those cases I would think asking for divine favor to those affected would be just as important. It would serve to quickly dry up flood waters so rescue workers could get around better, save and reunite lost pets with owners, reunite families, help sick or injured to get better and give divine protection to those in dangerous situations. These things seem just as important dont they?
VixensVengeance
VixensVengeance
Dark Initiate
Dark Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:20 pm

VixensVengeance wrote:Yes i agree absolutely. But sometimes people dont have extra money or things to give. In those cases I would think asking for divine favor to those affected would be just as important. It would serve to quickly dry up flood waters so rescue workers could get around better, save and reunite lost pets with owners, reunite families, help sick or injured to get better and give divine protection to those in dangerous situations. These things seem just as important dont they?

If you can not afford to offer anything, then pray in silence; announcing it is rather boastful.
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:32 am

Mortox wrote:
VixensVengeance wrote:Yes i agree absolutely. But sometimes people dont have extra money or things to give. In those cases I would think asking for divine favor to those affected would be just as important. It would serve to quickly dry up flood waters so rescue workers could get around better, save and reunite lost pets with owners, reunite families, help sick or injured to get better and give divine protection to those in dangerous situations. These things seem just as important dont they?

If you can not afford to offer anything, then pray in silence; announcing it is rather boastful.

Matthew 6:5
[size=43]And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing[/size][size=43] in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.[/size]
Manu
Manu
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by VixensVengeance Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 am

Mortox wrote:

Maybe, but isnt it also said that where 2 or 3 gather in my name I shall be with you. Dont you think its possible that those in bad situations could find some comfort in the fact that others are thinking about them and encouraging them and supporting them? A bit of encouragement from others often times allows people to find the strength to carry on during times of difficulty. After all, we are pack creatures by nature and none of us likes to ever feel alone in our plights, even it that comes only from the word of another.
VixensVengeance
VixensVengeance
Dark Initiate
Dark Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:45 am

You are speaking apples to oranges.

The two are not separate, the point earlier was if you had nothing else you could do... in this case their is a whole lot one can do besides pray... and group prayer would be in order depending on the circumstances.

When praying, it is in hopes God will act.  The caution is not to then stand up and state, "All is well!!! Everyone relax because I HAVE PRAYED so all will be fine!  Rejoice!"  For that is more about attention seeking then for the will of God.

But praying with or over another is more for their need.
Micheal
Micheal
Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by VixensVengeance Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:56 am

Micheal wrote:You are speaking apples to oranges.

The two are not separate, the point earlier was if you had nothing else you could do... in this case their is a whole lot one can do besides pray... and group prayer would be in order depending on the circumstances.

When praying, it is in hopes God will act.  The caution is not to then stand up and state, "All is well!!! Everyone relax because I HAVE PRAYED so all will be fine!  Rejoice!"  For that is more about attention seeking then for the will of God.

But praying with or over another is more for their need.

I don't think that I am and I don't think the original message conveyed the idea that others had prayed and then then stood up and went ALL IS WELL! In fact it looks more like an atheist advertisement highlighting thier belief prayer does not work. However if you believe in deities then you believe that prayer at least has the potential to be effective. Beyond that all that has been said is that people say they are sending prayers and thoughts, that's all. Not that they fixed anything or that things are automatically better because they prayed, only that they are giving a show of support in anothers crisis, even if that support is only through prayer.
VixensVengeance
VixensVengeance
Dark Initiate
Dark Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am

Apologies, I was being over dramatic on the bible verse Magnus put forth.  Such was common during the life of Jesus of the Jewish at the time.

Having said that, were some feel the need to do such, if it is done in an effort to provide comfort to those they pray over then it is great.  If it is done however to gain human gratitude for their actions, they shouldn't.
Micheal
Micheal
Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Question: Do I believe in the power of prayer, specifically regarding the Abrahamic deity? 

I believe in the deity I worship and accept the possible existence of others. However, being that I only have experience with my deity and the law maker, I will refrain from having too many opinions on what I have limited experience with. Suffice to say that I am skeptical regarding the law maker answering prayers in general, at least in modern times.
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Post by VixensVengeance Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Yes but just as yours is a personal experience that has convinced you and you want others to respect, theirs is just as personal an experencea that believe prayer works and would like that same respect.
VixensVengeance
VixensVengeance
Dark Initiate
Dark Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 pm

VixensVengeance wrote:Yes but just as yours is a personal experience that has convinced you and you want others to respect, theirs is just as personal an experencea that believe prayer works and would like that same respect.

Do you believe prayer works? If not, I think you are just debating in order to debate at this point. Please go and do something constructive with your time?
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 pm

I have no issue with people praying.

It's when they prey and do nothing else AND then make a big deal about how THEY helped and you didn't which annoys me.

I see prayer as more of a focusing tool. If prayer puts you in a mindset more conducive to really helping others, knock yourself out.
Manu
Manu
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by VixensVengeance Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Mortox wrote:
VixensVengeance wrote:Yes but just as yours is a personal experience that has convinced you and you want others to respect, theirs is just as personal an experencea that believe prayer works and would like that same respect.

Do you believe prayer works? If not, I think you are just debating in order to debate at this point. Please go and do something constructive with your time?

Honestly I am not trying to debate you. I really just want you to acknowledge your hypocracy.
VixensVengeance
VixensVengeance
Dark Initiate
Dark Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Magnus wrote:I have no issue with people praying.

It's when they prey and do nothing else AND then make a big deal about how THEY helped and you didn't which annoys me.

I see prayer as more of a focusing tool. If prayer puts you in a mindset more conducive to really helping others, knock yourself out.

Well said, Magnus.
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next