Force Realist Academy
You must be at least 19 years of age to join Force Realist Academy.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Force Realist Academy
You must be at least 19 years of age to join Force Realist Academy.
Force Realist Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Matter of Perspective

4 posters

Go down

A Matter of Perspective Empty A Matter of Perspective

Post by Grey Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 pm

When David a I were discussing gender roles, David brought up an example.

A mother and her young daughter are walking through a toy store. The daughter picks up a football and begins tossing it into air and catching it. "Sweety, that's for boys", the child's mother suggests in a calm and friendly voice.

My first thought was that the mother was limiting her child and this was wrong. David then continued the example. 

After softly advising her daughter that footballs are for boys, she then explained that girls only touch certain things because of their place in society and footballs were not one of those things.

After considering David's example, my perspective shifted. I no longer considered the mother to have done something wrong, although I did not necessarily agree with what she did either.
Grey
Grey

Back to top Go down

A Matter of Perspective Empty Re: A Matter of Perspective

Post by Micheal Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:59 pm

My daughter is very headstrong.  She went through Basic training, got to the end, and prior to her last PT test, she sprained her ankle.
At the time I told her even though she would have to repeat basic again, she should get it checked out.
She refused.
She eventually trained herself so that she did in fact pass the test and move on.
She made it through her job training and went into the real army.

Then it happened.
Because of all of the adapting her body had to do in order to overcome the ankle, other parts of her gave out, her hips started to atrophy.

Now, she is facing being removed from the army because in 5 years, she will walk with a cane.
And she can now never have children without fear of destroying her life.

I don't like stereotypes... who does?

My daughter was one who hated them as well and regardless... she was gonna serve in the Cavalry like I did.

Now she never will.  And she now has a different perspective on stereotypes.

I think it a good thing a girl play with a football.
I do not think it good she learn to play tackle.  Her body is not made for it.

The argument put forth will be that is a stereotype and some will.
Of course. 
But the reason why a stereotype exists is because the predominant proof otherwise.
Micheal
Micheal
Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:50 am

Points of pride are not the problem, but people's inability to see past their own to communicate with another person. Even the CoS frowns upon solipsism, yet I live in a world where everyone has a finger in each ear while shouting "la la la la..."
David
David
Dark Head of Aspect
Dark Head of Aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 pm

There is a certain usefulness in protecting others' right to break the mold, think differently. For some reason, these same people do not extend the same courtesy to those who think traditionally (and thus, differently from them). There is a perceived threat of oppression, which is no longer real in the western world.

Micheal, sorry about your daughter's injury.

Mortose, I clicked the minus sign next to your post not knowing what it would do, and decreased your reputation points, sorry about that.  Neutral
Manu
Manu
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:01 am

I think encouragement of breaking of the mold should be done more on an individual basis.  I know women who could bench press 400 lbs.  Its the broad paint brush mentality which harms people... regardless of which way the brush goes.
Micheal
Micheal
Light Head of Aspect
Light Head of Aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum